Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Korker Bow Tutorial




Hello!  I thought it would be fun to show you how to make a korker bow today:)  You can use this for your projects, or add a clip for a little girl's hair!  To make your korker bow you will need 3/8" grosgrain ribbon, some 1/4" dowels, some clothespins, and an oven.  I used some ribbon from this month's Ribbon Club Assortment~ Swiss Dots Grosgrain Orange With Black Dots and Swirl Grosgrain Black on White, as well as some 3/8" Black Grosgrain.  To start, attach one end of the ribbon to a dowel using a clothespin:


Begin twisting the ribbon around the dowel:



Once you get to the end of the dowel, cut the ribbon and attach with another clothespin:



Now it's time to bake your ribbon.  Preheat your oven to 275 and bake your ribbon for 25 minutes.  Remove the ribbon and let it cool which only takes a few minutes.  Then you can take off the clothespins and slide your ribbon off your dowels.  I chose to make a small korker bow, so I cut the ribbon into 2" pieces.  If you want a larger bow you can cut your pieces to 3" or 4". 



After you've cut all your ribbon (I used 20 pieces for this smaller bow), lay the pieces out into the pattern you would like for your korker:



Now it's time to start stringing the ribbon.  Take a needle and thread.  Make sure you have a knot at the end of the thread to catch the pieces as you string them:





As you are stringing the ribbon, make sure the pieces are going in different directions, and not all bunched up in the same direction.  Once you have finished stringing your pieces, it's time to run the needle back through the entire stack to the other side.



Push the needle through



Pull it up through the other side with the knot.  Now it's time to tie it off:)



Here is your finished product once again:



I hope you enjoyed my tutorial!  Thank you so much for stopping by and have a wonderful day:)

Kerri






17 comments :

  1. You cannot even imagine how much I LOVE this! i have been wanting to know how in the world to keep the ribbons curled! Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGoodness! How cool is this!!! Who wouldve thought to BAKE your ribbon??!! Cool. LOve it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow this is awesome! thank you so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! I wish my monthly kit was here! I'm lovin those ribbons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bow Kerri. You always create the coolest things. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh WOW! This flower is fantastic!! I loooove it!! ;)
    Hugs, Randi WS

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous flower Kerri.......thanks for sharing your tutorial!
    xxx Margreet

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow is right, I have always wondered how the ribbons stayed like this. EXCELLENT tutorial to share.
    Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cooking ribbon? Who'd have thought. What an excellent idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot wait to try making some hair clips for my daughter. Thanks for sharing an awesome idea..
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cool tutorial! Never would have thought to bake my ribbon. But I have baked stranger things... hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cool!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that is amazing. I always wondered how to make curls and they stay curled.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is awesome... will the ribbon hold this shape for an extended period of time?? this is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for the tutorial. I have wanted to try this for quite awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tutorial...looks like fun! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you have to say